Saturday, March 21, 2015

Grid Project

I decided to do my grid project on "Nighthawks" by Edward Hopper. I was torn between this painting and one of Van Gogh's sunflowers. I chose this one because it reminded me of home. I live very close to Chicago, and I would often go to the Art Institute of Chicago and see this painting on its walls.

                                                                   The final product

This piece also kind of reflects myself because like the people in the painting, I tend to be a nighthawk and stay up past the normal hours of living. In fact, I created most of this grid project after midnight each day over spring break. It took me around three days (at least five hours a day) to complete this.

                                                         My work station

I decided to use hole punched paint samples because I could capture the exquisite colors of the painting with ease, as I did not have to do any cutting. If I had to cut out each unit of the grid, it probably would have taken double the time.

                                        
                                          Close up                                             The grid

The grid is 30 x 54 units, for a total of 1620 punched holes. I had to draw a grid on top of my reference to be more exact. For each square, I picked the most represented color and matched it as best I could with the paint samples. I did not have all the perfect colors, but I tried my best. Some colors I had no match or I ran out of, so I had to make another trip to the hardware store.

                                                                       Comparison

The final product is not a perfect match, but it still looks really cool. The best way to see it is on a slight angle and further away. you could also be a little closer to it and take off your glasses. Overall, it was a really laborious, but fun project. I think I might want to do another. Maybe Van Gogh's sunflowers this time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment