Monday, April 20, 2015

Performance Art

For my performance art project I went fishing into the International Mall in Tampa, FL. Since the theme of this project is happiness, I thought doing something ridiculous (like fishing indoors) would make people laugh, and it did. Although the video doesn't show it, many people on the lower level were laughing at the sight of me as well.

I also did it to inspire people to have fun outside. There is a finite amount of activities you can do inside, but outside the possibilities are endless. So while people were spending their Saturday afternoons spending their money and being cooped up in an echoing building, hopefully I reminded them of what you can do in the sunny, endless nature of Florida--for free.

I was only able to perform for about ten minutes before the mall cop came and told me that I could not fish in the mall. It was private property and a performance such as mine would distract consumers from shopping and hurt the businesses economically (yeah right, Gucci is going to go out of business because of me).

Anyway, I actually had a lot of fun creating this video and performing. It was very hard not to laugh because many people were also laughing or smiling and making funny comments. I honestly thought I would be much more scared to be acting so crazy in a public place, but it wasn't that bad. I think my disguise (hat and sunglasses) helped, but it probably made me look even more ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment