Thursday, April 2, 2015

Modern Un Chien Andalou

In class, we looked at the short film "Un Chien Andalou" by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali. The part where the man is pulling the pianos to show his devotion to a girl (7:50) reminded me of the music video for Bruno Mars' "Grendade." Throughout the music video, Bruno Mars is also pulling a piano, but he is singing about how he will do anything for his girl. Back in 2010, when I first watched this music video, I was really confused by this gesture. I thought it was crazy, like why is he pulling the piano; what's the point of that? Now I realize that it is a reference to Bunuel's short film because Bruno Mars wants to convey the same story--that he loves a girl and will do anything for her, but she does not love him back.

No comments:

Post a Comment