Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Man Who Was Tomorrow

I remember when I was younger, my dad used to listen to the radio when he went to bed. Sometimes I would creep into his bed at night and listen to it. Twilight Zone was always on at 11 pm. I found it captivating, and in the darkness with the amazing sound effects, I could visualize each scene perfectly. And although at my young age each program would leave me scared and unable to sleep, I thought they were so cool to listen to.

For this class, I listened to the old time radio program, "The Man Who Was Tomorrow." It is a science fiction show that was very similar to Charles Dickens' Cristmas Carol in that a man was shown his future in order to get him to change his ways. In this program, a man broke up with his girlfriend and thought nothing of it but the man who was tomorrow talked to him and showed him that this girl was his future and by being with her he would have an amazing life. The man then got back with her to have a happy life.

I thought this form of entertainment was very cool. There were amazing sound effects that made the "action" seem real even though there were no visuals. The voices were really good too and each actor conveyed the correct emotion very well.

Overall, I thought this was an amazing radio show. I really enjoyed it and I can see why people used to listen to these all the time. You can have your hands and eyes free while having some good entertainment. While reading a book, you have to look at it and use your hands to hold it, and with the TV you have to look at it. However, with radio you can do just about anything and have great entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment